Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 97

Look! A real Jackie Chan post!

I took my parents to see Kung Fu Panda yesterday as a ... um ... Father's Day activity... True, it was my mother who expressed the desire to see the movie, not my father, but I'm glad he came along because I think he enjoyed the movie more than my mother did (and that's a compliment to the movie, seeing as my mother really enjoyed it, too). My one word opinion of the movie: Awesomeness!

The animation was great, the story was fun, and the voice casting was very well done. I especially enjoyed the opening dream sequence, when Jackie Chan's character, Master Monkey, says to Po, "We should hang out." Good stuff. I really appreciated the way they honored Chinese heritage, used the Chinese language, and made different references to Chinese cultural symbols. My favorite moment, though, came not during the film, but during the credits, when my parents saw that Jackie Chan voiced Master Monkey, and they both exclaimed, "Jackie Chan?!?" That was precious.

We stayed and watched all of the end credits, which I don't recall my parents ever doing before -- that's how I know they really enjoyed the film, as well as the artwork shown during the credits. ... that and hearing my father laughing thoughout the movie ... An all around good time and hopefully a very happy Father's Day for him.

For all of you out there who have not yet seen Kung Fu Panda, go see it! Take your kids, take your parents, take your significant other (I plan on doing just that when I see it again). Also, stay and watch all of the credits -- the artwork is good and there is a short animated sequence after the credits are finished. And be adequately prepared for awesomeness.

No comments: