Friday, February 11, 2011

Boylan

The Pooj tries to hide.
(Big Lots, November 2010)

Boylan Bottling Company got started back in 1891 with a birch beer they still make today. While I have yet to try their signature beverage, I have had their root beer a few times in the past decade. It’s pretty sweet, with a pretty strong licorice flavor and aftertaste. There’s a little more of a root-y herb-y scent in the aftertaste, but with the exception of the licorice, there’s not a whole lot of other herb-iness that I usually prefer. I would almost say that there’s a slightly fruity flavor to it, and a slight bitterness not unlike that of black coffee.

I’ll still have to get some of Boylan’s birch beer for a taste of their history, but for now, the root beer is somewhat unremarkable – I give it a 3.

No comments: