Monday, February 21, 2011

Whole Foods Market 365

The Pooj loses a contact lens.
(Whole Foods Market, February 2011)

So a man (um… me…) walks into a health food store, and comes out with potato chips and root beer.
Ironically enough, I think the last time I went into another branch of this health food store chain, I came out with the very same thing (though I think I also had a bottle of unfiltered apple juice that time, which was at least healthy in comparison…). At least it’s healthier junk food, right? Right…?

Ahem…


365 Everyday Value is Whole Foods Market’s generic store brand.
Store-branded root beers have not been particularly good in my experience (with the exception of the Trader Joe’s Vintage, which was decently good), so 365’s root beer is a pleasant break from the norm. It’s a little bland out of the can (something about aluminum cans seem to neutralize flavors more than glass bottles for me, most likely because I’m smelling the metal can, not the beverage inside – I’m not sure why this isn’t as much of a problem with glass bottles, but I can postulate that it’s because glass doesn’t really have much of a smell to me), so I poured it into a glass, where the flavors are better revealed. The dominant flavor and aftertaste is wintergreen, and there’s a slightly heavy dose of it, similar to that of some “old fashioned” style root beers. It’s also pretty sweet, slightly caramel-y.

Overall, though, I liked it.
Maybe not well enough to have it every day, but enough to get more next time I’m in a health food store and have a craving for potato chips as well… I’ll give it a 3.5.

No comments: