Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 126

Soooo ... did you check out Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog yet ... ? Do it. Doooo iiit.




Ahem.



In other news, I bought a new car! Sadly I did not buy a Segway from Jackie Chan. Rather, I bought a Toyota Matrix from Raymond. Certainly there's an off chance that Raymond knows Jackie Chan, but I'm not holding out hope for that. At the very least I'm pretty sure that Raymond knows of Jackie Chan. That's probably as close as I'm getting to the aforementioned Mr. Chan during this whole vehicle purchasing process.

If nothing else, the whole car-buying experience has reminded me that I'm not very good at negotiating prices. The last time I had to negotiate any payment was when I was living in New Delhi, and I wasn't very good at it then either. Granted, I was only negotiating for rickshaw fares and the occasional souvenir, but still -- El Sucko. To my credit though, I did manage to get them to let me trade in my old truck, which seemed an insurmountable task, given that coolant was spraying out of a hose and the transmission warning light was coming on several times each day. In fact, I almost expected them to say, "Um, you're going to have to pay us extra if you want to leave this thing here..." So in light of that, not only am I happy that I have a new ride, I'm happy that someone other than me is dealing with selling my old ride...



I'm not through with you yet today...

Things That Make Me Say, "I Don't Get It" #3: The cell phone that rings several times during the course of a single meeting. Sure, you forgot to turn off the ringer when you first walked in and the phone rang in the middle of the meeting -- it's distracting, but it's understandable. But did you think that the phone would somehow turn itself to silent mode after that? Did you not hear it the first time? You obviously did, seeing as you picked it up to see who was calling, so what's so difficult about switching to silent mode at that point? Did you think that it would be any less of a distraction the second time it rings? That's not only rude, that's unprofessional. I don't get it.

No comments: