Friday, April 5, 2013

Braum's

 
The Pooj is vertically challenged.
(Braum’s - Owasso, OK; August 2012)

Ask anyone from the Plains states and they'll know Braum's Ice Cream. My first Braum's experience was a cookies n' cream cone back in college during spring break, and seeing as I still remember it now, it clearly made an impression on me. I learned back then that Braum's does not operate anywhere farther than their trucks can deliver products fresh daily, which sadly means we'll not likely ever see one in California (oh well, we have In-N-Out, so I guess that's fair turnaround). What I did not learn until recently (i.e., doing research for this post...) is that those stores are specifically within a 300 mile radius of Braum's Tuttle, OK processing plant, and despite this geographic limitation, Braum's still operates close to 300 stores in 5 states: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, and their home state of Oklahoma. This is due to the fact that Braum's is almost completely vertically integrated as a company.

Let's back up a bit first. Henry H. Braum started leasing a butter processing plant in 1933 in Emporia, KS, and built his company upward from there. By 1940, Braum had gained his own facilities, and had just added ice cream to the menu of dairy products handled at his plant. This ice cream, which they named Peter Pan Ice Cream for a local park, would go on to make quite a name for the Braums, so much so that when the family sold Peter Pan in 1967, a few years after Henry's son Bill took over, they had to agree not to sell ice cream in the entire state of Kansas for 10 years following the company's sale.

Consequently, the Braums moved their entire post-Pan operation to Oklahoma, dairy farm and all, eventually settling in Tuttle, where they remain headquartered today on a 10,000 acre dairy farm. And as if their 260,000 sf dairy processing center wasn't enough, the Braum's company also operates a 240,000 sf bakery on the property, and also owns several hundreds of thousands of acres of additional farmland elsewhere in OK and TX just to grow alfalfa and hay to feed their cows – quite necessary when you take into account that the Tuttle farm births 40 calves each day. These cows – an entirely private herd, 1,600 milked per hour – combine to produce 150,000 lbs of raw milk every day (not a small feat given that they do not give the cows hormones to promote milk production). Much of this is sold just as milk, but much of it goes to producing Braum's signature ice cream, making Braum's the only major ice cream producer in the US that milks their own cows – how's that for vertical integration (source)?

But as much as we like ice cream, it is beside the point – Braum's makes their own line of sodas, root beer included. Thanks to friends in flat places, I have acquired a significant amount of said root beer. Unfortunately, although the cans were purchased just last August, the date on the cans indicates that they expired this past January, and I did not receive them until recently, well past its stated expiration date. I feel that in the interests of full disclosure, I need to offer this disclaimer, in case this expiration negatively affects its flavor.

I am at least pleased to note that, despite its stated expiration, Braum's Root Beer does not taste like the can it came in. Not taking any chances, however, I'm consuming this from a glass rather than straight from the can, knowing what we do about how that can affect the perception of flavor. And the flavor's not bad at all – it's on the generic/weaker/milder end of the root spectrum, and mostly dominated by sweetness, so there's nothing particularly distinct about it, but nothing offensive either. The scent is also mildly root-y and mostly sweet, somewhat candy-ish, so it's not surprising that the taste can come off a little syrupy. Same goes for the aftertaste, which is decently root-y and lingers for a little while before finishing with a clean sweetness. Either due to the yucca extract foaming agent or the aforementioned syrup-iness, the texture is smoother and fuller than your typical HFCS-sweetened root beer.

While Braum's Root Beer isn't particularly special – not a "treat" root beer by any means, it's certainly good enough to accompany the burger I would get at a Braum's restaurant were I to visit one, which I will need to do at some point just in case my representative sample really did lose something in its expiration. Upon such an occurrence, should I discover that there is no difference between fresh and expired, then I might opt to save my calories for an extra scoop of frozen custard instead. For now, Braum's Root Beer gets a solid 3.

9 comments:

anthony said...

Wow! I have no idea how i have missed your blog for so long! any interest in trading sodas? you have a few reviewed that i cannot get and i am sure i have a few i can get that i do not see reviewed by you. thanks!

Win said...

Anthony! I've had your blog bookmarked for ages -- you're my root beer hero! Soda trading sounds like a great idea -- I actually have a backlog of about 30 root beers I still have to drink and write about, so I don't plan on acquiring much else until I finish all those first (the Missus would probably appreciate getting some pantry space back...).

But send me a list of the sodas you're still looking for and I'll start collecting whatever I can find for you in the Los Angeles Metro area!

anthony said...

hi Win! you are too kind!
no rush on trading, i have a big backlog too and reviews scheduled for the next year already, just like to be prepared.
the sodas i see that you might have a shot at getting are:
Ben Shaws Dandelion & Burdock
GUS
Twohey's
Watson’s Sarsae

i have a bunch of extras of some different stuff so hopefully we can work something out. or if you come across anything unusual, let me know!
thanks!!

Win said...

I just picked up a can of Ben Shaw's for you. Twohey's will be pretty easy to get my hands on, too. I might have a harder time finding the other two -- I've only ever seen GUS once, and I probably won't be back to where I bought it anytime soon (though I've seen their non-root beer offerings more frequently), but I'll keep my eye out for it; Watson's was brought back from Hong Kong, so I don't think I'll be able to get you one of those for a while, though I'll see if I can get some visiting family members to bring one back for you :)

I'll have to spend some time poring over your blog -- you've obviously got a bigger collection than I do, so I'll need to look closer to see what you have that I'll have no chance of finding in CA.

anthony said...

well, i can't get a lot of what is reviewed as most were one off type deals. but i do have a decent selection right now, including:
Rocky Mountain Soda Co
Rootin Tootin
Ben's Deli
Joe's
Appalachian Brewing Co
Wild Bill's
Triple AAA
Yacht Club

and many more...

Win said...

Thanks Anthony -- let me check to see which one of those I absolutely know I can't get out here. I went looking for the GUS for you this past weekend, but alas, the only place I know that carried it before no longer does so. It looks like all I'll be able to get you is the Twohey's and Ben Shaws.

Have you tried White Rose yet? It's only sold at Galco's (though you can probably buy it online through their website) -- I can get you one of those if you like.

anthony said...

Nope, no White Rose, so I'd be happy to get that too if i can get enough to trade you back. rad! thanks.

Win said...

Cool -- I'll pick one up for you! Can you send me your email address so we can continue this conversation off the comment section?

anthony said...

i don't know your email to send you an email, so here is mine: anthony at rootbeerbarrel dot com.
look forward to it.