Friday, November 12, 2010

Sparky's

The Pooj isn’t paying attention.
(Rocket Fizz Ventura, November 2010)

Ah, the novelty of oversized bottles … suckered me into buying more of this root beer than I ever wanted…


Sparky’s comes in 2 sizes – the standard 12 oz, and a sharable 22 oz; I opted for the 22 oz so I could share with the missus, which was good because the missus liked it much more than I did, and so I didn’t have to finish it. While Sparky’s smelled really good upon opening the bottle, and the initial taste was pleasant, that all quickly gave way to a very bitter, almost medicinal taste that lingered in my mouth for a long time. I’m not sure what this flavor comes from, since the ingredients only list “natural botanical extracts, imitation flavors [and] spices” – maybe too much wintergreen or birch. Smaller sips make it more palatable, possibly due to honey in the mix which usually smoothes out overly-herbal assaults, but the bitterness eventually still catches up with you. The aftertaste also lingers for a long time – at first pleasant, but eventually cloying, which is confusing since the drink itself is so bitter.


I’m steering clear of Sparky’s in the future – that gets you a 1.

No comments: