Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Rivella

Wash your beverage down with a plate of cheese...!

Some few weeks back, we hit up the Swiss Fair to celebrate Swiss Independence Day with some raclette, yodeling, accordions, alphorns, and that 106 year-old guy. If that wasn’t reason enough to sit outside in the 95 degree Southern California summer, then this should seal the deal: it’s the only State-side place I know of where I can get Rivella! Rivella, of course, is not root beer, but it is everywhere in Switzerland (4 different kinds, from what I counted). The flavor is actually not that remarkable when it comes to soda – it’s got some kind of lactose or something in it – but it’s the thing to drink in Switzerland, and thus the thing to drink at the Swiss Fair for that authentic Swiss experience, so when in Rome (er, Zurich…?) …

Here’s an snippet from a conversation I had with Mr. Inauen, a local Swiss national working the Fair:
Mr. Inauen: (Pointing me out to a fellow reveler) This is a smart man here -- he married a Swiss woman!

Fellow Reveler: Really? But did you marry her for love or for money?

Me: For cheese!
Yes indeed, I do enjoy the Swiss Fair. Any place one can acquire fleischkase is fine by me ;)

No comments: