Friday, January 7, 2011

Frostie

The Pooj has an epiphany. Sort of.
(Cost Plus World Market, January 2011)

We close out the holiday season with Frostie Root Beer, curiously placed in the “Christmas Items” area of the store. I thought at first that it actually was a Christmas version of the normal Frostie because of the Santa-looking guy on the label, but I compared the label with that of the Frostie Vanilla Root Beer that was already in the fridge (post pending) and they are one and the same Santa-looking guy. His hat isn’t even red on the “Christmas” version, so maybe he’s just a dude with a white beard and a night cap…


The Pooj spreads some cheer.

Even so, given it’s placement with the holiday cohort, it seemed appropriate to go for a Frostie while our Christmas decorations are still up…

Frostie is pretty good – it has a strong, but not dominating, molasses flavor and an almost equally strong vanilla flavor. Actually, the vanilla flavor is so strong that it makes me wonder what the Vanilla Frostie tastes like. There’s also a heavy hint of wintergreen, especially in the aftertaste. It’s a little sweeter than my preference, and the sugar consequently covers up some of the herb flavors that could have been more pronounced. While I would definitely say this is a good root beer, it’s just not really my preference – I’ll give it a 3.5.

No comments: